[mou] Location

john nelson nelsonjc at hickorytech.net
Fri Mar 21 22:32:44 CDT 2008

Sorry! I'm located just west of Beauford, 8 miles south of Mankato, on
the Big Cobb River. This afternoon we were visited by a Fox Sparrow
(2nd sighting in the last week) and a beautiful male Purple Finch. 30+
Goldfinches males gaining color every day. Juncos had disappeared this
week during nice weather, 15-20 were working the grounds. My(?)
Redpolls have not appeared all week, but the Flicker which has been a
regular all winter is still here. What a striking bird. This the first
time we have had one on a feeder (log and peanut).  Though we see them
commonly on the ground spring and summer, I don't think I've
appreciated what a handsome bird they are until seeing one hanging on
a feeder 15 feet from a window. I get so hung up on numbers and
species sometimes, I have to stop and just soak in the beauty of the
individual birds.

John Nelson
Just west of Beauford