[mou] Blue Earth County Shorebirds

Chad Heins odunamis at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 09:44:28 CDT 2008

Hey birders,

Yesterday I was able to get out and look for shorebirds a little.  There isn't much shorebird habitat in our county, but I was able to find some goodies.

Marbled Godwit (Mapleton Sewage Ponds in the early morning--gone later)
Long-billed Dowitcher (Mapleton Sewage Ponds)
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Wilson's Snipe
Wilson's Phalarope (Mapleton Sewage Ponds)
Semipalmated Plover (CR16 south of CR10)
Killdeer

Shorebird areas:

There's a flooded field on CR16 just south of CR10 and east of Hwy 22 that is really good right now.  The Cobb River has flowed out of its banks and there is some water in a pasture along CR4 just east of the junction with CR16.  Mapleton Sewage Ponds are great, but viewing is limited.  It is posted for no trespassing, but I was able to get permission (reluctant) to take some students in there and we got better looks at the birds that you could see from the gate (nothing hiding).  Roberts WPA west of Mapleton also has some shorebird habitat.  Take CR30 west from Mapleton and then turn north on CR18.

FOYs: Baltimore Oriole, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Nashville Warbler, Ovenbird, Cliff Swallow, Bank Swallow, American Pipit

Happy migration!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN