[mou] Photo website updatge

Linda Krueger lkrueger at umn.edu
Sat May 3 12:53:55 CDT 2008

We have an amazing update to our photo website this time!  We traveled to
the Platte River in Nebraska to observe the Sandhill Crane migration and
reserved a spot in a blind through Rowe Sanctuary.  If you haven't
experienced the cranes coming into the mudflats in the evening or departing
them in the morning from a blind, do so!  It is an amazing sight to see and
hear thousands (over 200,000 the day we were there!) of cranes taking off or
landing.  We also went through the Nebraska Sandhills and reserved a spot in
two different blinds, one to observe Greater Prairie Chickens and one to
observe Sharp-tailed Grouse.  The man that arranges trips to these blinds is
amazing.  He has been doing this for 8 years and he takes a lot of time
getting the birds use to the blinds, slowly bringing them closer and closer
to the area the birds are in.  We were within 4 feet of the birds at times!
If anyone is interested in knowing the name of the person who we went
through to observe these birds, email us and we'd be happy to share that
info.

We also went to the World Bird Sanctuary in Missouri.  We would highly
recommend this trip as well.  The staff there was very knowledgeable and
concerned about the welfare of all the birds living there.  We've included
photos of the following birds that were photographed there:

Bateleur Eagle

Golden Eagle

Tawny Eagle

American Wedge-tail Eagle

Long Crested Eagle

Harris's Hawk

Lizard Buzzard (a Hawk)

Great Black Hawk

American Kestral

Peregrine Falcon

Spectacled Owl

Barn Owl

Barn Owl babies - only 1 month old!

White-necked Raven

Turkey Vulture

There were other birds at the Sanctuary.  They even put on a half hour show
with selected birds that the audience loved.

In addition to all the birds we mentioned above, we have photos of other
birds we encountered during our vacation:

Snow Geese

Redhead

Green-winged Teal

American Wigeon

Northern Pintail

Gadwall

Western Meadowlark

Horned Lark

A Cattle Drive of 200 cows that went right down the main street of a small
Nebraska town!

Northern Shoveler

Red-breasted Merganser

And, the Corn Palace in South Dakota!

We also photographed the Lesser Scaup recently at the 180th Street Marsh in
Hastings and included a photo of this bird in this update.

Right now, Kevin and I are enjoying the new video camera we have mounted
inside one of our Bluebird houses.  Yesterday the female laid one egg and
today she laid a second egg.  We are getting a lot of nice photos and videos
and will include them in our next website update.  We are also busy
photographing a male breeding Yellow-rumped Warbler today.  This bird is
super friendly and ends up coming too close to us for photographing!!!!

Enjoy!

Linda and Kevin Krueger

www.FLIGHTofNATURE