[mou] What are the requirements for posting to the list server.

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:19:25 CDT 2008

Here is what the MOU website has to say about posting rules to the
listserv:

"It is a place where birders can share their sightings -- notable or
otherwise -- with other interested people. We particularly invite
posts of observations that contribute to the understanding of the
birds in the state. This includes sightings of birds that are
unusual, in an unusual location or out of season, or present in
significantly higher numbers than normally expected."

I would think that a palm warbler would fall under the category of
"otherwise" by that definition and therefore allowable.

The rules also state:

"MOU-Net is also a place where you can ask questions or make
observations regarding the identification, behavior, and natural
history of birds in Minnesota."

Why can't a photo of a bird that a list member took be considered an
observation?  Members of the listserv are not allowed to send photos
because some people still have dial up or have issues  with receiving
attachments through the listser.  Some on this list have gone to the
effort to create their own sites to post their photos and to just
post a link to the listserv where people can either follow the link
or hit the Delete Key (it's not that hard to hit a Delete Key).  I
personally enjoy that.  I appreciate it when Jeff Fischer, Linda
Krueger, Bernie Friel, Bill Marchel or anyone posts links to their
site of bird photos.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN