[mou] New Mocker, Old Sum Tanager, Mower County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 22:44:58 CDT 2008

Saturday 5/3/08

John Hockema & I saw a Northern Mockingbird fly across Hwy 56 at the western edge of Taopi, which is in the southeastern part of the county, about 15-20 miles from where there were sightings last month.  The bird flew from the north side of the Hwy to the south, and landed in the sixth tree west of the classic green sign telling you that you have entered a new town in Minnesota, and in this case, the sign said Taopi.

John and I showed up at 8:00 at Alex Watson's place, and enjoyed great views of his Summer Tanager.  We then had a great morning in western Mower County birding with him, before we parted ways and John and I headed east.

John and I had over 100 species on the day in Mower, and here are some other highlights:

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE - 2 at Lyle Sewage Ponds
LARK SPARROW - 1 at field adjacent to the parking lot at Hormel Nature Center/1 at Lake Louise State Park
CAPE MAY WARBLER - Pond at Hormel Nature Center
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER - Hormel Nature Center
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER - 1 at LeRoy sewage ponds
PEREGRINE FALCON - Hormel Nature Center
BROAD-WINGED HAWK - numerous today

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN