[mou] possible junco/white-throated sparrow hybrid

robert.oconnor at ndsu.edu robert.oconnor at ndsu.edu
Mon May 5 08:41:41 CDT 2008

Hi,

In the past several days, I've had three quick looks at an odd sparrow
under my feeders at 1625 3rd St., Moorhead.  The closest picture I've
found to what I'm seeing is of a Dark-eyed Junco/White-throated Sparrow
cross.  The face, neck, and upper breast of this bird are washed with gray
darkening to nearly charcoal black toward the beak.  There are two white
spots at the lores and a white patch under the beak.  The beak itself is a
light color contrasting sharply with the dark of the face.  The grayish
wash seems blended with body plumage otherwise suggestive of a
White-throated or White-crowned Sparrow.  Unfortunately, my looks have
been too brief to say much more.

If anybody wants to try to see or photograph this bird, they're welcome to
come into the yard.  Come along the south side of the house and use the
wooden swing or walk down the hill to the trees below and watch the area
west of the back porch.

Bob O'Connor