[mou] Prothonotary in Maplewood Nature Center, Ramsey County?

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Mon May 5 22:18:27 CDT 2008

I searched for the Prothonotary Warbler after work today and was told by a couple I approached that they'd seen it just two minutes prior to my arrival at that spot.  It seems from the other posts related to this (these?) birds that the area close to the entrance is a likely place to find the bird.  The folks who saw it this evening (5/5) found it on the little island to the left as you enter the trail from the parking lot.

One point of clarification - I looked at my maps to verify the county Maplewood Nature Center is in, and it looks like it's in Ramsey County, not Washington.  Is this correct?

Other birds seen:

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Waterthrush

Yellow Warbler

Black and White Warbler

Lincoln's Sparrow (just 1)

Yesterday (May 4) I checked on the owl nest in northern Meeker County that I initially discovered a couple of months ago.  I'm happy to report that mama Great Horned Owl was sitting next to one big owlet.  The nest is on 617th Av., about .1 mile north of 365th St.  This is just southeast of Eden Valley.

Linda Sparling

Hennepin County