[mou] downtown Minneapolis warblers

Sally Cagle scagle at bitstream.net
Wed May 7 22:18:32 CDT 2008

As we walked around Nicollet Island today, we saw lots of migrants,
especially Yellow-rumped Warblers, over four dozen.  The morning's
highlights included:

Nashville Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart (at least 6)
Spotted Sandpiper
Chimney Swift
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Baltimore Oriole

Orange-crowned Warblers and an Indigo Bunting were the highlights
yesterday.

Earlier in the spring (when my computer was not working), a sampling
of the migrating waterfowl, including over a dozen Common Loons,
rested in the waters surrounding Nicollet Island. Neighbors reported
waking up to a loon's call "just like at the lake."

Blue-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
American Coot

If anyone wants information on locating Nicollet island or the
birding spots, email me and I'll be glad to provide it.  Happy birding!

Sally Cagle
Downtown Minneapolis