[mou] marsh growl guess

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Wed May 7 22:45:09 CDT 2008

I got many responses to my marsh bird growl and several were the
Northern Leopard Frog.  Steve Weston was kind enough to forward me a
web site that let me hear the calls of practically any frog there is
in NA.  It didn't seem to sound like that.  Then that wise Alyssa
suggested a Great Blue Heron or Great Egret and suggested I listen to
them on line.  I have the CDs, so I listened and the call is most like
the egret or heron.  Not the entire call just a small piece.  I think
I imagined that the call came from something nesting or mate calling -
so I didn't even consider waders since they generally nest in
rookeries or at least in some elevated place.  So I don't know for
sure what it was yet.  I am open to some type of amphibian but it was
more of a growl than a croak - so I am going to stay in the question
and see if I can hear it again tomorrow - armed with hearing of the
frog call on line and the the birds.  I will keep you apprised.

Life is so much richer when I stay in the question.  I may even have
to wade out, knee deep in marsh mush to find this one out.

I don't put it past a frog to fool me though.

Dang! Now I just got the lead for a Pickerel Frog and from Steve's web
lead that sounds closer too - but still leaning towards the birds.  Am
I just stubborn or what?

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I knew I could count on you.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN