[mou] juvenile Gray Jay

Dee Kuder dkuder at citlink.net
Thu May 8 06:13:54 CDT 2008

Yesterday while hiking the Vermilion Gorge Trail at Crane Lake in northern
St Louis County, I saw an immature GRAY JAY. The bird was an overall slate
gray color. It hadn't been out of the nest too long as it had the pink gape
of a young bird. It had no problem flying from branch to branch. It was
making begging calls and at one point sat with its mouth open waiting to be
fed. I watched with my binoculars from about 20 feet away.

The ice just completely cleared from Crane Lake on Wednesday, but there is
probably still ice on the bigger lakes just up north in Voyageurs National
Park.

I saw my last Redpoll on Monday, May 5th - they were quickly replaced by
Purple Finches and Chipping Sparrows the next day.

Dee Kuder

Crane Lake