[mou] Hungry warblers

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:30:40 CDT 2008

Today the temps were in the mid-30s and rain mixed with snow.  The
Yellow-rumped Warblers were attacking our suet.  I guess this is their
only source of food right now.  I drove into town to get suet cakes
and mealworms.  Could only find wax worms, but I'm hoping the birds
find them and eat them!  In the past 12 years I have never seen
warblers eating suet.  They also are eating grape jelly.   A few years
back we had a Cape May Warbler who stuck around for 4-5 days and ate
grape jelly.

Right now there are 4 warblers on the suet cage.

I'm waiting patiently for the next wave of warblers to arrive.  I hope
it is warm enough in southern MN so that they can fuel up before
heading north.

Pat DeWenter
Bemidji/Beltrami Co.