[mou] migrants late, and early

tapaculo at halcyon.ws tapaculo at halcyon.ws
Tue May 13 14:30:09 CDT 2008

I just saw a Canada Warbler on the south side of Normandale Lake in Bloomington
(around noon on 13 May), which is earlier than I usually see them.  And there
are still lots of Yellow-rumps around, where adult males, at least, are usually
scarce by now.  Maybe the lack of insects is stalling them?

I meant to add a note with other impressions of the last weekend.  Unlike
another report, I found Murphy-Hanrehan really dead Saturday: likely in part
because there was little singing (silent Tennessees!), there were long stretches
in the marker 8/9 region with no birds, and we just eked out 10 warbler species
before heading elsewhere.

Conversely, the Bluff Trail west of the Old Cedar Ave bridge was just inundated
with warblers Sunday at around 2pm: my brother and I got to 20 species in
about an hour, decent numbers of many.  That gave me the brilliant idea to
try MHSP again.  We dashed over and walked the marker 1/2 area... and still
found it dead. Hard to predict...

Stephen Greenfield
tapaculo at halcyon.ws
Minneapolis