[mou] Long-eared Owl, Minneapolis

tapaculo at halcyon.ws tapaculo at halcyon.ws
Fri May 23 08:24:09 CDT 2008

I saw a Long-eared Owl in Roberts Sanctuary north of Lake Harriet just before
8am this morning.  It was maybe 20 yards straight in from the big wooden
edifice at the east entrance, about 8 feet high in a dense tree (Ash-leaf
Maple, if I recall), well-hidden but being mobbed by robins, cardinals, chickadees,
etc.

This was quite a surprise, as I've only ever seen them in conifers in winter.

There were a small number of warblers, thrushes, and flycatchers earlier
during my 30-minute visit.  The only striking thing was that there seemed
to be a Magnolia Warbler singing every 50 yards.

Stephen Greenfield
Minneapolis
tapaculo at halcyon.ws
mobile: 612-877-1137