[mou] Sibley County warblers

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Tue May 13 18:32:02 CDT 2008

It seems that passerine migration is always a few days behind the twin
cities along the MN River. Whereas most of the states' warbler species
have been seen in the cities for almost a week now, we are just
starting to see those species in places near Henderson and St. Peter,
which leads me to suspect that the majority of warblers come up the
Mississippi flyway and then some turn southwest and follow the
Minnesota River upstream.

This afternoon at Rush River Park south of Henderson I found 16
species of warbler:

Blue-winged
Golden-winged
Tennessee
Orange-crowned
Nashville
Yellow
Magnolia
Cape May
Yellow-rumped
Blackburnian
Pine
Blackpoll
Black-and-white
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat

The majority were definitely Yellow-rumped and Tennessee, but it was
interesting to see good numbers of Blackpoll. Equally interesting were
several Orange-crowned Warblers and a single Pine Warbler.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County