[mou] unusual yard birds

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Tue May 13 22:41:56 CDT 2008

This inhospitable spring seems to rival one we had 5 or 6 years ago in
its ability to draw unusual migrants into urban yards. We live in the
east end of Macalester-Groveland in St. Paul, and have had birds not
normally seen in our yard. It's true that we have a full array of
feeders and food, plus a birdbath fountain, but nothing that isn't
always there. The one big draw seems to be our flowering plum tree,
which is not only covered with blossoms for the moment, but also
hosted many flying insects in the several warm days that we had. As of
today, this tree has been visited by:
4 male and 1 female Baltimore oriole
at least 2 Tennessee warblers
1 catbird
2 black-and-white warblers
2 Cape May warblers
1 black-throated green warbler
a possible warbling and a possible yellow-throated vireo
2 blackpoll warblers
a white crowned sparrow
We've had white-throated sparrows, rose-breasted grosbeaks,
hummingbirds, and both kinglets stop by, for example, but this last
group is rare for our yard. In that earlier, cold spring we did host a
Harris' sparrow, some yellow warblers, and some Nashvilles, so there
may be more to come.

Linda Whyte