[mou] Cattle Egrets Orchard Orioles

john c. nelson nelsonjc at hickorytech.net
Fri May 16 11:17:07 CDT 2008

Brother-in-law reported observing 3 Cattle Egrets at the edge of his
small marsh adjoining plowed field, east of Lura Lake in Blue Earth
Co. Watched for an hour and saw them catch and eat 5 mice! They winter
in south Texas and see them in numbers, but had no idea they travel
morth. I had 2 PAIR of Orchard Orioles at the grape jelly yesterday
along with the RBG,Northern Orioles, 3Indigo Buntings, 38 Goldfinches,
and a Tennesee Warbler (grape jelly), a first for me. A note about the
grape jelly.  The Orioles are fruit and nectar feeders by nature, and
while there are some nectar flowers appearing, fruit will be hard to
come by for some time. Protein from insects is quite available and
based on the their numbers and appetites I shudder to think of the
cost of feeding mealrooms in quantity. The scooped out oranges are
geat jelly feeders and can last a surprisingly long time. On their
side Frito-Lay dip jars are perfect and I've mounted several on top of
upside-down suet feeders-both OO and NO used them immediatly. What a
great spring it's turning out to be!
John Nelson
Near Beauford MN