[mou] Lutsen birds

wickl002 at umn.edu wickl002 at umn.edu
Fri May 16 11:06:16 CDT 2008

Good morning!
  We have just returned from a few days on the shore of Lake Superior. The
sights here at home(Wayzata) this morning included three male indigo
buntings in our magnolia tree(which still has white blossoms on it), a pair
of wood ducks in the oaks and golden-winged warblers bathing in the pond!
  At the lake, chickadees, red-breasted nuthatches and yellow-rumped
warblers seemed to be everywhere!! No surprise there! Other birds came
mostly as singles.
   sparrows-song, white-throated and chipping
   warblers-palm,magnolia, black and white,blackburnian, redstart and
northern
            waterthrush
   phoebe
   small flycatcher-least, I think
   flicker
   hairy woodpecker
   blue jay
   merlin
   robin
   purple finch(as Carol Tveekrem said, they seem especially colorful!)

On the water:
   herring and ring-billed gulls
   common and red-breasted mergansers
   cormorant(2)
   red-necked grebe
   long-tailed ducks(19)-closer to shore than I've ever seen them
   common goldeneye
   bufflehead(12)
   loon
   scaup-lesser, I think(rather angular back of the head)
   spotted sandpiper, along the shore

  The other sighting was a bald eagle on the nest along Highway 61 near
Grand Marais. A good few days, even with the rain--which is still needed.

Jan Wicklund