[mou] Clark's Grebe(s) and other amazing birds, Blue Earth County

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Sat May 17 21:56:01 CDT 2008

Chad Heins and I spent the day birding in Blue Earth County beginning
at 2:00 AM. Probably our most notable find of the day was a Clark's
Grebe at Indian Lake WMA in the northeastern part of the county. The
bird was associating with a small group of Western and Red-necked
Grebes on the north side of the lake. Chad also saw another Clark's on
this lake while we were there that I was unable to find. To get to
this lake from Hwy. 14, go south on CR 37 for two miles then turn west
onto 195th St. In less than a mile the lake will be on your right. It
can be easily viewed from the road, although there is a public boat
access on the south side which might offer closer views.

Perhaps equally notable were three Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows that
we found singing at Cobb River WPA north of Mapleton at around 4:30 in
the morning. In the town of Beauford along Hwy. 22, go east on CR 10
for a mile and then turn south onto 586th Ave. In just over a mile
south on 586th, you will come to the WPA on your left. Drive to the
second parking area and then walk out into the prairie east towards
the treeline. In about a quarter-mile you will come to a large expanse
of wet grasses/marsh where the birds were singing (again, early in the
morning).

Other notable finds:

-Ruddy Turnstone and Red-necked Phalaropes at the Mapleton sewage ponds
-Eared Grebe at the Mapleton sewage ponds
-American Bitterns calling at Cobb River WPA
-Kentucky Warbler at Williams Nature Center west of Mankato - from the
parking lot, take the trail that goes right. The bird was singing in
the vicinity of the second kiosk along this trail.
-Common Tern on Lake Madison
-20 species of warbler throughout the county

A beautiful, spectacular, and full day of birding. And now I'm going to bed.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County