[mou] Northwestern MN Trip Report

FELKER golfbird at comcast.net
Sat May 24 06:23:01 CDT 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day trip to Northwestern MN.  We saw 20 species of warblers with the birds being cooperative and easy to see with almost no leaves on the trees.  We had good numbers of Cape Mays, Blackburnians, and Wilson's plus Black-throated Green and Blackpoll.  The best places were on the 17th and 18th Itasca State Park and just to the north (Clearwater Co.) and May 22nd Beltrami Co. especially the Waskish area.  At one point in the recreation area there I was looking at 8 Cape May Warblers.  There were also lots of Ruffed Grouse drumming too especially on the Big Bog Boardwalk.

Other species of note:

Upland Sandpiper - Mahnomen Co.
3 American Bitterns and 6 Wilson's Phalaropes - Agassiz NWR (Marshall Co.)
Olive-sided Flycatcher - by river in Thief River Falls (Pennington)
Great-crested Flycatcher - Rydell NWR (Polk)
Black-billed Magpie in 5 counties including just north of Itasca SP
Lark Sparrow - Norman and Clay Co.
Dark-eyed Junco - Agassiz
8 Evening Grosbeaks at the feeders at Bert's Cabins by Itasca SP

Linda Felker