[mou] Bass Ponds: Kentucky Warbler and Black-billed Cuckoo!

Matt Bribitzer-Stull mpbs at umn.edu
Sat May 24 07:47:44 CDT 2008

Dear Minnesota Birders:

Yesterday (5/23), while birding with my mother at the Bass Ponds in
Bloomington, we saw a Black-billed Cuckoo at the bottom of the downhill
entrance trail. This was a first species for me during Minnesota
migration. I thought it would be the highlight of the day, but after a
nice string of warblers (including Golden-winged) I heard a song I never
thought I would hear in my home state: it was the two-syllabled
tory-tory-tory of the Kentucky Warbler!

The bird was singing not far from the stream (near the sign that
announces "Dangerous Waters," but across the stream). I crossed the
stream on a fallen log and walked uphill a few paces toward the song.
The habitat looked just like that where I've seen/heard this bird before
in Kentucky (twice - I've also seen/heard it once during migration in
Rondeau Provincial Park in Ontario) and the ventriloqual quality of the
song was no different either. It was nearly impossible to get a clear
aural direction from the songster as he sat in low canopy and sang his
heart out. After about 15 minutes, I finally got a quick look just
before he dived down into some thick undergrowth. Spectacular!!! (As an
added bonus, the Black-billed Cuckoo made another appearance during this
time and graced me with his song, as well!)

My apologies for not posting sooner - my internet access at home was out
most of yesterday.

Happy birding,

Matt