[mou] Itasca County Big Day 5/24

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Sun May 25 13:15:37 CDT 2008

On Saturday, 5/24, Earl Orf, Dedrick Benz, John Hockema, and I did a Big Day in Itasca County.  We found 142 species, which is 24 species greater than the previous record.  No casual/accidental/rare species were found, but there were some highlights:

- 16 species of duck, despite the fact that ducks were virtually absent in the expected places
- 21 species of warbler

Other fun birds:  Peregrine Falcon, Common Nighthawk, American Pipit, Scarlet Tanager, LeConte's Sparrow, Philadelphia Vireo, several Whippoorwills

Notable misses:  American Coot, Pied-billed Grebe, Cape May Warbler, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, "reliable" Boreal Chickadees

Only a single Double-crested Cormorant found around 8pm, shorebirds were scarce.  Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/