[mou] Park Pt. Duluth

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 11:16:04 CDT 2008

A foggy misty day at the point with a slight breeze from from the east created a pretty good fall out on Park Point.
Highlights:
-Black-backed Woodpecker (male) working on a spruce tree near the children's playground. Look for a large spruce tree trunk that has been worked over by woodpeckers.  I talked to a out of state birder who spotted this woodpecker in the same area 2 days ago.
-Yellow-headed Blackbird on the ball field near the volly ball courts.
-15 species of warblers.  Including a late Orange-crowned warbler. Just like the last fall out many of the warblers were females.
-5 Yellow-bellied Flycatchers.
-15 Sanderlings, 6 Dunlins and 2 Semi-palmated Sandpipers in one flock on the beach near the bath house.  This not include the 12-15 Dunlins on the ball field.
-5 Blue-headed Vireos and about 4 Red-eyed Vireos.  Yesterday I spotted a Eastern Peewee at Park Point.
Overall it was a pretty good day and there were quite a few birders scouring the point this morning and I am sure there will be more postings on what birds were spotted on top of what I reported.
Mike
Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/