[mou] Meadowlark sp. at Bayfront Park, Duluth...

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 22:51:48 CDT 2008

I love birding Bayfront Park in Duluth, you just never know what might turn
up.  A meadowlark species in relatively downtown Duluth is a fairly decent
species to find.  Today at Bayfront Park in Duluth, there were two birds
(meadowlark species).  For how dismal the weather was, the meadowlarks  really
brightened the day, if only they would have busted out some tunes, but  no, they
were pretty quiet.  It was still a treat to watch them flutter  about as if on
some lakeside prarie, though really, it's just a big  manicured lawn.  They
primarly focused on the wood chips that  surrounded the base of the planted trees
near the lake.  Both birds would  flip over the wood chips and frequently
appeared to find bugs or grubs to  eat.  I posted a picture of one of the birds
in the showcase section of  MOU.  Lastly, right before I left, it appeared that
a merlin tried to buzz  one of the meadowlarks, but was then itself chased by
a peregrine  falcon who appeared to make some contact with the merlin as a
few feathers flew  and the merlin was uttering some strange distress call as it
made haste after a  hard bank.  It all happened very quickly, pretty exciting.
Enjoy the fall.
Shawn Zierman.