[mou] Shorebird ID help

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 12:03:34 CDT 2008

Actually, it does matter, which is why I asked.

As to whether something is a state first or not, is of no concern to me.  I've played that game (had committee members solicit reports from me, then turned them down, and laugh at me in the process), so I won't even think of coming anywhere close to doing that.  If the system was to be changed, to be made truly scientific (such as having ornithologists on records' committees), then I might play, but until then, no.  So, I don't see anything right with submitting reports to records committees.

I asked mainly because I know of birders that submit their reports to the AOU each time they go out; so I suspect that the AOU wouldn't look too kindly on someone adding a bird a few days later.

I am aware how often this happens; it has happened to mee many times, and sometimes a year or two later, I have been able to ID what was one unidentifiable by me, just due to the additional experience I've gotten.

Richard

 Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN
rwoodphd at yahoo.com