[mou] yellow-crowned night heron-Hennepin

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Thu Sep 4 10:54:13 CDT 2008

This morning at 7:50 I saw a juvenile yellow-crowned night heron
along Minnehaha Creek in Mpls. It was on a mud shore along the creek
just east of the bridge at 31st Ave S. I watched it for a couple of
minutes, noting the dark color and the precise neat rows of white
triangle markings.

But the bird was extremely skittish, disturbed when a bike quietly
passed on the distant path. I watched it fly up into an alder, then
to another alder, then down the creek toward a group of willow/
maples. I could not relocate it when I passed by that area 30 minutes
later. (I didn't not stalk it the first time, having already seen it
up close in the open and not wanting to bother it any more.)

This location is further east than where a juvenile was seen last
year. I will repost if I see it again at dusk or dawn, noting if it
has settled down to a particular day-roost location.

Note that there are also several black-crowned night herons along
this stretch of the creek. I counted 7 just a couple of days ago.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis