[mou] Migration Today, Lebanon Hills, Dakota County

drewbec at aol.com drewbec at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 15:14:58 CDT 2008

Took a look around the Visitors Center/Schulze Lake area of Lebanon Hills Regional Park in Eagan this morning, and found it to be fairly birdy. Typically, I prefer the Holland Lake area, but thought I'd check out someplace different for a change. Lighting was terrible today, and several interesting things managed to slip away without being identified. I had 12 warbler species. The list of interesting (to me) birds follows:

Common Yellowthroat- 3

Nashville Warbler- 12

Tennessee Warbler- 4

Northern Waterthrush- 2

Magnolia Warbler- 2

American Redstart- 8

Black-and-White Warbler- 4

Ovenbird- 1

Blackburnian Warbler- 1

Chestnut-sided Warbler- 3

Canada Warbler- 1

Bay-breasted Warbler- 1

Great Crested Flycatcher- 1

Philadelphia Vireo- 1

Warbling Vireo- 3

Red-eyed Vireo- 2

Swainson's Thrush- 2

Plus another 24 species, all expected. I was very pleased to see the waterthrushes, which I somehow missed in spring. They represent the 30th warbler species (plus an additional hybrid) I've seen in Dakota this year, one of my highest totals for this group. Too bad I also missed the Yellow-throated Warbler earlier in the summer! It's been a great warbler year here.

Drew Smith

Eagan, Dakota County