[mou] Duluth downtown sidewalk strike count

mansfieldbc mansfield3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:42:42 CDT 2008

Before sunup: between 7th Ave W and 4th Ave E on Superior St, one imm
White-throated Sparrow or Nashville warbler every couple of blocks, resting
on the pavement, probably suffering from strikes.  I think I recall Laura
Erickson or another Duluth birder posting about grounded birds in downtown
Duluth last fall, the fall before, maybe.  I wonder how many there are
nightly in migration here.  I watched one of the Nashvilles perk up as the
sunlight hit it, and it flew away towards Canal Park; another right near the
bus station was in danger of being kicked or stepped upon so I picked it up
and warmed it in my shirt and released it in some vegetation a couple blocks
along.  All that stone and pavement gets *cold* overnight.  I don't know
that any rescue squad, official or non, would be of much use, since it's
probably too late for many of these birds as soon as they end up among the
buildings (strikes/faulty navigation/who knows), but I can't help feeling
for each of them I see.  Duluth's got such a small 'skyscraper' trap by
comparison but obviously it takes its toll.

I realise I'm probably in violation of various wildlife laws for handling
the birds, however briefly, but my conscience gets the better of me and I
have to do *something*.  "It matters to this one".

Chris

PS: apologies to those who've emailed me personally; I don't have reliable
internet access at the moment.