[mou] Coots/Douglas County

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan at digitaljam.com
Sat Sep 13 13:41:36 CDT 2008

There is a truly impressive array of American Coots on Christina Lake
(in the extreme northwest corner of Douglas County).  Yesterday, as
part of the MRV Birding Day, we (very roughly) estimated there were
at least 20,000 coots there.  That number is probably conservative.
They were stretched all across the lake rather than in smaller,
tighter rafts.  Because the day was so calm, we could hear a constant
undercurrent of sounds from them -- grunts, squeaks, tones.  Most
entertaining!  Lake Christina is located about 5 miles northeast of
the town of Ashby along Hwy 78.  A Nature Conservancy pull-off at the
base of the Seven Sisters Preserve is a perfect parking place just
across the road from the lake.

Another highlight was a sweeping fly-by of 50 Common Nighthawks while
we ate lunch on Inspiration Peak in adjoining Otter Tail Co.
---
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Battle Lake MN
Otter Tail County