[mou] Boat Trip Update / Park Pt.

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 21:31:46 CDT 2008

Hello:

The Lake Superior Boat trip that is scheduled for this Saturday is filling up fast.  I currently have 23 birders signed up as of today and I only have 7 spots left.  So if you are on the fence about signing up, please try to make a decison by Thursday night - Thanks.

I got a message from Kim Risen who left a message on my cell phone that a Hooded Warbler was found in the vicinity of the play ground area at Park Pt..  The playground is located in the park right on the left hand side or across from the large parking lot. The warbler was seen by Kim and Cindy Risen.

Some local news:

For those birders live outside of the Duluth area there might be some dramatic changes in the near or distant future to Park Point.  The Duluth City Council have approve of rezoning nearly 400 feet of city land to residential zoning. Which means developers can now make offers to purchase 4 lots (?)  2 lots on the north and 2 lots to the south of the two homes that are currently in the park.

Some of the best birding during migration at Park Point has always been between the bus turn around and the bath house in Park Pt. and now nearly 400 feet of woods are now up for sale to potential buyers.  Hopefully the DNR or some environmental organization will purchase the lots and protect these lots from developers.  Duluth is in some serious financial issues and the sale of these lots are suppose to help with our 6 million deficit we are currently in.

Also those that use to visit & bird the Lakewood pumping station ( along the northshore ) to watch fall migration can no longer roam this property!  The property is now surrounded by a 8 foot chain link security fence.  Back in the good ole days birders could hike up the mound and watch birds by the thousand fly by.  This was place where the northshore count ( back in the 1980's) was located and where I counted 10,000 nighthawks fly by one evening with the help of Kim Eckert. As I get the older, Duluth is ever changing. Many birding locations in Duluth are either being developed or wrapped in security fence or guards these days.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota