[mou] Sabines Gull Brown County update

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 01:33:43 CDT 2008

After birding in the western edge of the state, Jim Ryan and I arrived at
the Sleepy Eye Lagoon at dusk, finding two cars and a birder (Robin from
Delano) with her scope focussed on a gull on the grassy median between the
two lagoons.  As dusk thickened we approached the gull to within about 50
yards.  At this time the four occupants from the other car, gathered their
guns and pop (it being past the time for legimate hunting) and walked
towards us.  They were enjoying their fellowship and were totally unaware of
the object of our attention.  The gull flew when approached to about ten
feet, showing off its wing pattern and settled upon the lagoon.  We left it
at 8:00pm.

Before we left we talked to the young hunters, who were there for the
special goose hunting season that openned today.  We told them that we hoped
that our presence did not intrude on their hunt.  They had been on the far
shore of the lagoon.  They assured us that it had not.  At which point a
flock of about twenty Canada honkers flew over their abandoned station and
settled on the lagoon, too late for the hunt.  The geese were either not
affected by our presence or acutely aware of rules of hunting.   We
explained about the rarity of the gull and its attraction to birders across
the state.  They had noticed the visitors earlier in the day, but had not
seen anyone except the three of us since they arrived at a couple of hours
earlier.  They are returning on Sunday for the hunt.  We told them that the
birders would be there also and we would not be able to stop them.  They
hoped that they would not interfere with their hunt.  They appeared to be
quite tolerant, hopefully tomorrow's birders can respect their space.

Besides the gull we found at least three species of swallows, an Eared
Grebe, and a Nighthawk.  There was more of interest, but hour was late and
we were focused on the gull. The lagoons are a mile or two south of the edge
of Sleepy Eye and are easy to see from Highway 4.

sweston2 at comcast.net