[mou] Overcoming BDD

Bill Bruins wmbruins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:39:52 CDT 2008

Yesterday I experienced two events that took care of curing my Bird
Deficit Disorder.

As I drove to the Twin-Cities to hear Steve Kress talk about the
recovery of the Atlantic Puffin and other birds in decline I saw a
Common Raven just north of the village of Oronoco. At first I thought
I was looking at a raptor of some sort as this bird was much larger
than a crow. As it came closer on it path across HWY 52 I realized it
was not a raptor because it was all black. The I spotted the final
diagnostic, the shape of the tail. It alternately flapped and glided
across the road. An Olmsted County first for me.

At dinner I was gazing out the window watching the sprinkler wet the
dry lawn and the Serviceberry tree. There was a movement in the tree
that was not the result of drops of water hitting leaves. A
hummingbird was bathing. It would alternate between sitting on a
branch and flying in the spray. This lasted for about five minutes. I
have heard of this behavior but this is the first time we've witnessed it.

By days end, my BDD was cured for Thursday.

Bill

O. William (Bill) Bruins
Rochester, MN, on the Zumbro River

Water is a resource not a waste product.