[mou] Waseca, Steele, and Dodge counties Sunday

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Sun Sep 28 20:41:31 CDT 2008

Today Dave Bartkey, John and Chris Hockema, and I birded Waseca,
Steele, and Dodge counties. Bird activity was good throughout the day,
and we had some notable sightings, including:

-Mudflats with shorebirds on south side of CR 10 north of Rice Lake in
Waseca County, the best shorebird being Long-billed Dowitcher.

-Warbler wave at Maplewood County Park on east side of Clear Lake.
Mostly Yellow-rumpeds, but also a late Chestnut-sided and a
Blue-headed Vireo. At least two Winter Wrens here as well.

-3 Eurasian Collared-Doves in the town of Ellendale in Steele County.

-Mudflats with shorebirds at the Straight River Marsh on east side of
CR 45 south of Owatonna in Steele County. The best find was a
Black-bellied Plover foraging in the grassy area behind the mudflats.

-Warbler wave (including a late Magnolia) and two more Winter Wrens at
Rice Lake State Park in Steele County. Also an early Hermit Thrush here.

-Merlin at Claremont sewage ponds in Dodge County. It appears,
however, that these ponds are being drained, possibly for good.

-Osprey, Winter Wren, early Dark-eyed Juncos, and late Bay-breasted
Warbler at Naylor Woods WMA in Dodge County

We also had Cackling Geese and American Pipits in all three counties.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County
bobthebirdman.blogspot.com