[mou] RBA: Great-tailed Grackle in DAKOTA COUNTY

Jim Ryan jimryan37@hotmail.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:44:06 -0500

Birders:
4/26 at 11:15am @ 180th St. Marsh I observed and heard vocalizations from 1
male Great-tailed Grackle. It was 5-10 feet from my SUV!!! Windows were open
and I was in awe hearing the most bizarre sounds I have ever heard come from
a bird. Clucks, descending whistles and that weird sucking/flushing sound
had me stunned. I watched the bird amble its way across the road and pick
around the marsh/road edge for a good half hour. It was last seen on the far
eastern edge of the marsh grabbing corn from the field on the south side of
the road.

Also of interest: Flock of about 30 Yellow-headed blackbirds, Mature Bald
eagle who stole the prey of a successful Male Northern Harrier.

Ruddy ducks, Canvasbacks and a Swamp sparrow rounded out the other
highlights for me@ 180th.

Jim in St. Paul

'If all the animals were gone, we would die from loneliness of spirit, for
whatever happens to the animals soon happens to us. We are part of the
earth, and it is a part of us. This we know: all things are connected like
the blood which unites one family. Man did not
weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the
web, he does to himself.'  Chief Seattle, 1854