[mou] birds of dakota co and around

Steve Weston sweston2@attbi.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:05:02 -0500

At 2pm Blaine Seeliger called me to report an American Bittern at the 180th Street Marsh near Vermilion.    He was unable to
find the Great-tailed Grackle.  I was fortunately able to get down there later in the afternoon and that evening.  In the
evening (about 7:30) I inadvertently flushed the Bittern which flew right over my car.  On the far shore an adult Bald Eagle
perched in bare bleached tree.

At the 140th Street marsh most of the migrating waterfowl has already moved on
leaving several pairs of Blue-winged Teal, Gadwell, and Ring-necked Ducks, which were paired and hopefully considering
settling in.  Water levels were high and habitat was poor for shorebirds. Clay-colored Sparrows were calling from nearby
trees.

Elsewhere I found the season's first gossling (Canada) in Woodbury south and west of I-494 and I-94.  In New Hope south of
Winnetka and CR9 (Rockford) it appears that Ring-billed Gulls maybe tending nests.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan
sweston2@attbi.com