[mou] Shorebird spots, Hennepin County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:46:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C35F45.C7490760

This early afternoon my dad and I went to look at a couple areas in SW =
Hennepin County that we thought might be attracting shorebirds right =
now.  The first area was the wetlands behind the Flagship Corporate =
Center in Eden Prairie.  Park at the south end of the lot and walk =
behind the building. This spot contained a good amount of mudflats, and =
still has lots of water, so it could be good for a few weeks yet.  Today =
most of the shorebirds were too far away to identify, but there were =
some closer ones including:
-Lesser Yellowlegs
-Least Sandpiper
-Semipalmated Sandpiper
-Baird's Sandpiper
-Spotted Sandpiper
-Killdeer

The second area was the Minnesota River Valley south of Hwy. 212 in Eden =
Prairie.  There is little access to this extensive area, but there is an =
overlook on the south side of the highway across from Flying Cloud =
Airport.  From here we could see extensive mudflats and at least a few =
hundred shorebirds, but the only ones we could identify at that distance =
were Killdeer and Lesser Yellowlegs.  There were hundreds of Great =
Egrets and Great Blue Herons surrounding the water, too.  This spot =
would be an excellent shorebird spot if closer viewing areas could be =
found.
On the way back home just west of this spot, we observed an awesome =
spectacle--a Bald Eagle fighting with an Osprey.  As these two birds =
battled in the air, a third bird flew up to join in.  This third bird =
turned out to be a Peregrine Falcon.  The Bald Eagle flew away when the =
Peregrine joined in, and the Osprey was left to battle the falcon.  The =
Osprey soon flew away.  The Peregrine was so much faster and agile than =
either the eagle or the Osprey, and it appeared that all three of these =
birds knew that.
Good birding!
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C35F45.C7490760

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This early afternoon my dad and I went =
to look at a=20
couple areas in SW Hennepin County&nbsp;that we thought might be =
attracting=20
shorebirds right now.&nbsp; The first area was the wetlands behind the =
Flagship=20
Corporate Center in Eden Prairie.&nbsp; Park at the south end of the lot =
and=20
walk behind the building.&nbsp;This spot contained a good amount of =
mudflats,=20
and still has lots of water, so it could be good for a few weeks =
yet.&nbsp;=20
Today most of the shorebirds were too far away to identify, but there =
were some=20
closer ones including:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Lesser Yellowlegs</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Least Sandpiper</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Semipalmated Sandpiper</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Baird's Sandpiper</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Spotted Sandpiper</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Killdeer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The second area was the Minnesota River =
Valley=20
south of Hwy. 212 in Eden Prairie.&nbsp; There is little access to this=20
extensive area, but there is an overlook on the south side of the =
highway across=20
from Flying Cloud Airport.&nbsp; From here we could see extensive =
mudflats and=20
at least a&nbsp;few hundred shorebirds, but the only ones we could =
identify at=20
that distance were Killdeer and Lesser Yellowlegs.&nbsp; There were =
hundreds of=20
Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons surrounding the water, too.&nbsp; =
This spot=20
would be an excellent shorebird spot if closer&nbsp;viewing areas could =
be=20
found.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the way back home just west of this =
spot, we=20
observed an awesome spectacle--a Bald Eagle fighting with an =
Osprey.&nbsp; As=20
these two birds battled in the air, a third bird flew up to join =
in.&nbsp; This=20
third bird turned out to be a Peregrine Falcon.&nbsp; The Bald Eagle =
flew away=20
when the Peregrine joined in, and the Osprey was left to battle the=20
falcon.&nbsp; The Osprey soon flew away.&nbsp; The Peregrine was so much =
faster=20
and agile than either the eagle or the Osprey, and it appeared =
that&nbsp;all=20
three of these birds knew that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver County</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C35F45.C7490760--