[mou] S. Washington Cty: Spotted Towhee

WWoessner@aol.com WWoessner@aol.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:52:07 EDT

--part1_185.1ef2165f.2c680a77_boundary

And with help from the Martin's directions, I refound the Spotted Towhee at
about 145PM Sun.  Even with their directions I spent about a half hour along
the tracks way to far to the "right".
When the trail from the parking lot veers right in about 300 feet, take an
older trail straight ahead toward the bluff overlooking the tracks. When you can
see the tracks, the clump of trees and brush in front of you is the one to
explore. I found the bird singing on the "track side" of that clump. I could see
the spotting on the back..tho the bird looked more like the Sibley NW race of
spotted than the Great basin race. However its call(s) were nothing like the
rather sweet calls of the "pure" Eastern Towhees that I had  a woods full of
a month ago in Mass. Oh, if I didn't  want to ignite an e-storm of
controversary,  I would recommend taking along (or at least listening to) the tape of the
Rufous-Sided Towhee from the Peterson Field Guide Series - Western Bird
Songs. Of course, all the songs-calls were recorded in the West and are Spotted
Towhee songs/calls
Good birding
Warren Woessner

--part1_185.1ef2165f.2c680a77_boundary

=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode" LANG=3D"0">And with help from the Martin's directio=
ns, I refound the Spotted Towhee at about 145PM Sun.&nbsp; Even with their d=
irections I spent about a half hour along the tracks way to far to the "righ=
t".<BR>
When the trail from the parking lot veers right in about 300 feet, take an o=
lder trail straight ahead toward the bluff overlooking the tracks. When you=20=
can see the tracks, the clump of trees and brush in front of you is the one=20=
to explore. I found the bird singing on the "track side" of that clump. I co=
uld see the spotting on the back..tho the bird looked more like the Sibley N=
W race of spotted than the Great basin race. However its call(s) were nothin=
g like the rather sweet calls of the "pure" Eastern Towhees that I had&nbsp;=
 a woods full of&nbsp; a month ago in Mass. Oh, if I didn't&nbsp; want to ig=
nite an e-storm of controversary,&nbsp; I would recommend taking along (or a=
t least listening to) the tape of the Rufous-Sided Towhee from the Peterson=20=
Field Guide Series - Western Bird Songs. Of course, all the songs-calls were=
 recorded in the West and are Spotted Towhee songs/calls<BR>
Good birding<BR>
Warren Woessner<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_185.1ef2165f.2c680a77_boundary--