[mou] S. Washington Cty: Spotted Towhee

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:15:40 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C35F52.42931BC0

Great find by Jim.  One of the very few summer records.  We refound this =
bird today by following the old road down to the bottom of the hill.  =
The Spotted was singing from the clump of trees right where the road =
comes out close above the tracks.  Note that this bird besides singing =
the normal Eastern Towhee "Drink your tee" song also sang at least 4 =
other songs that were much buzzier and for us somewhat hard to describe.

We were able to see that the bird did not have the large white patch at =
the base of the primaries that traditional easterns always have and that =
hybrids seem to have almost all the time.

In the area were at least three other towhees that we were unable to =
observe so don't know what species they were.  Although we only heard =
the traditional eastern songs from them so one could presumably assume =
that they were easterns.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com
  From: Jim Ryan=20
  To: MOU List ; MNBird List=20
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:19 PM
  Subject: [mou] S. Washington Cty: Spotted Towhee

  Speaking of Washington County Bird spots, I was enjoying Grey Cloud =
Dunes SNA on Sunday afternoon (sorry for the late report). Entered off =
of 110th. The bird was down by the railroad tracks, several hundred =
yards from the parking area.
  =20
  The highlight of the visit was a
  =20
  @ Spotted Towhee=20
  =20
  (lifer for me), repeatedly admonishing me to "drink your tea", =
interspersed with a buzzy tanager-like "jheer".
   At first I thought it was an eastern, but it gave me a good look at =
its back, which showed white tertials, scapulars and coverts, just like =
the plains variant shown on pg 474 of Sibley 1st ed. =20

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C35F52.42931BC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Great find by Jim.&nbsp; One of the very few summer=20
records.&nbsp; We refound this bird today by following the old road down =
to the=20
bottom of the hill.&nbsp; The Spotted was singing from the clump of =
trees right=20
where the road comes out close above the tracks.&nbsp; Note that this =
bird=20
besides singing the normal Eastern Towhee "Drink your tee" song also =
sang at=20
least 4 other songs that were much buzzier and for us somewhat hard to=20
describe.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We were able to see that the bird did not have the =
large white=20
patch at the base of the primaries that traditional easterns always have =
and=20
that hybrids seem to have almost all the time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In the area were at least three other towhees that =
we were=20
unable to observe so don't know what species they were.&nbsp; Although =
we only=20
heard the traditional eastern songs from them so one could presumably =
assume=20
that they were easterns.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis and Barbara Martin<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:dbmartin@skypoint.com">dbmartin@skypoint.com</A></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:jimryan37@hotmail.com" =
title=3Djimryan37@hotmail.com>Jim=20
  Ryan</A> </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu"=20
  title=3Dmou-net@cbs.umn.edu>MOU List</A> ; <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net" =
title=3Dmnbird@lists.mnbird.net>MNBird=20
  List</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, August 04, 2003 =
11:19=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [mou] S. Washington =
Cty: Spotted=20
  Towhee</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Speaking of Washington County Bird spots, I was =
enjoying=20
  Grey Cloud Dunes SNA on Sunday afternoon (sorry for the late report). =
Entered=20
  off of 110th. The bird was down by the railroad tracks, several =
hundred yards=20
  from the parking area.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>The highlight of the visit was a</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>@&nbsp;Spotted Towhee </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>(lifer for me), repeatedly admonishing me to =
"drink your=20
  tea", interspersed with a buzzy tanager-like "jheer".</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;At first I&nbsp;thought it was an eastern, =
but it gave=20
  me a good look at its back, which showed white tertials, scapulars and =

  coverts, just like the plains variant shown&nbsp;on pg 474 of Sibley =
1st=20
  ed.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C35F52.42931BC0--