[mou] Spotted Towhee still present, Washington County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:36:52 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C35F7F.2182C750

This evening my dad and I went to search for the Spotted Towhee being =
seen at the Grey Cloud Dunes SNA in Washington County.  Upon hiking down =
the bluff toward the railroad tracks, there were two or three towhees =
singing and calling.  One of the towhee songs had a distinctly drier =
quality and sounded a bit faster than the others, so we followed this =
song back to a clump of trees where the song was coming from.  There was =
an Eastern singing very close to this other bird, so we had close =
comparisons with the two songs.  The Spotted's song sounded faster than =
and not as sweet as the Eastern's.  Eventually the Spotted Towhee flew =
up from the understory and gave us brief but positive looks.  In flight, =
the white spotting on the bird's back was difficult to see, but it was =
obvious that the primaries were black, lacking the Eastern's large white =
primary patch.  I agree that this bird fits more closely to the NW =
subspecies of the Spotted Towhee.
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C35F7F.2182C750

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This evening my dad and I went to =
search for the=20
Spotted Towhee being seen at the Grey Cloud Dunes SNA in Washington=20
County.&nbsp; Upon hiking down the bluff toward the railroad tracks, =
there were=20
two or three towhees singing and calling.&nbsp; One of the towhee songs =
had a=20
distinctly drier quality and sounded a bit faster than the others, so we =

followed this song back to a clump of trees where the song was coming=20
from.&nbsp; There was an Eastern singing very close to this other bird, =
so we=20
had close comparisons with the two songs.&nbsp; The Spotted's song =
sounded=20
faster than and not as sweet as the Eastern's.&nbsp; Eventually the =
Spotted=20
Towhee&nbsp;flew up from the understory and gave us brief but positive=20
looks.&nbsp; In flight, the white spotting on the bird's back was =
difficult to=20
see, but it was obvious that the primaries were black, lacking the =
Eastern's=20
large white primary patch.&nbsp; I agree that this bird fits more =
closely to the=20
NW subspecies of the Spotted Towhee.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver=20
County</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C35F7F.2182C750--