[mou] Neotropic Cormorants still present

Chu, Philip PChu@CSBSJU.EDU
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:55:39 -0500

This morning, 13 August, the two Neotropic Cormorants were still at Big =
Stone National Wildlife Refuge.  They were in the same impoundment in =
which they were seen yesterday - the one bounded on the east by US 75.  =
I viewed them from the farthest-south parking area along the impoundment =
dam (the dam is sandwiched between the impoundment and US 75).

The two Neotropic Cormorants were with 240 Double-crested Cormorants, =
and yesterday they were with a big bunch of Double-crests as well, so =
here's my "doesn't take a genius to figure it out" advice:  at the =
impoundment in question, look for a big aggregation of cormorants, drive =
along the dam to wherever viewing conditions are most favorable, and =
then spend some time searching through the aggregation for the =
Neotropics.

If you've been looking through the aggregation for half an hour without =
success, then don't give up!  One of the Neotropics left the big bunch =
of cormorants and flew out of sight to the north, only to return an hour =
later.

Phil Chu
Department of Biology
St. John's University