[mou] Re: [mnbird] listing game

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:29:12 -0800

--MS_Mac_OE_3153806952_342933_MIME_Part

Jeff makes a good case for rules. They are important in any game. Be
prepared to study here, however, to achieve mastery. While the American
Birding Association expresses its rules for listing birds throughout the
North American continent and coastal waters in 79 words, Minnesota listing
rules consume something over 750 words.

Jim Williams
Wayzata

From: "Jeff Stephenson" <stephensonjeff@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:15:15 -0600
To: "mou" <mou-net@biosci.cbs.umn.edu>, "mnbird" <mnbird@lists.mnbird.net>
Subject: [mnbird] listing game

I will admit from the start that I am an avid bird lister. I enjoy trying to
maximize how many species I can see in North America, Minnesota, each of its
counties, how many I can see in one day in each of the counties, how many I
can see in my yard, and on and on. Part of the listing pleasure is to
compare my result with other birders. To make this comparison useful it
should be assumed that each birder used the same rule set. Mike mentions
below that each person listing can choose to play by the rules or not and
that it's a personal choice. He is correct. However, I would like to make
the case for playing by the rules. If a golfer plays 9 holes of golf and
reports a score, most people would assume they played by the rules of golf.
If they didn't then they are simply misreporting what their golfing skill
really is. This may impress the naive but in the end the non-rule player is
only kidding themselves. If I bird with someone and I realize they ignore
the listing rules then it means that all of their listing records are
suspect in my mind. So I tend to ignore what they report since it has no
meaning. My recommendation to the beginning lister is DON'T break the rules.
If you start adding birds to your list that shouldn't be there and then
later after you've gained some experience you decide to follow the rules.
All you previous listing is contaminated unless you can go back and remove
the rulebreaking species. You will regret having started off in such a
manner.

Jeff Stephenson
Home phone: 507 289 7635
Cell phone:     507 254 8194