[mou] possible Summer Tanager nesting, Scott County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:48:35 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C33FBE.52A97800

This morning I birded Murphy-Hanrehan Park in Scott County, mostly to =
search for the Summer Tanager I heard back in June.  I went back to the =
same spot around 7:00 this morning.  To get to this spot, park along the =
road just west of marker 14 (this is where you go for the Hooded =
Warblers).  Follow the path in and take the path to the right as you =
reach the clearing.  This takes you back to marker 15.  Take the trail =
to your right at 15, which heads east toward marker 16.  About 150 yards =
or so east on this path from marker 15, there is a low, semi-open spot =
with wetlands and tall trees on both sides of the path.  This area is =
just after coming down a hill.  It was here where I heard a male Summer =
Tanager back in June.  This morning, I waited a minute or two, and then =
saw a female tanager fly into a tree on the north side of the path.  I =
had a quick look at this bird, and could only tell it was a female =
tanager, but the wings were not very dark.  Just as I put my binoculars =
on this bird, the male Summer Tanager flew into the same tree and began =
calling "pik tuk tuk".  The male sat there for a minute calling within =
plain sight of me, and then followed the female bird to a tree just =
north of this spot.  I could not find them after this, but this behavior =
was, at least to me, highly suggestive of nesting.  I am not aware of =
any breeding records for this species in MN, nor do I know if Summer and =
Scarlet Tanagers will hybridize.  Just before you come down the hill to =
this spot, there are a few Scarlet Tanagers singing, so it is possible =
that the female bird was a scarlet.
Elsewhere in the park, I found a Henslow's Sparrow still singing near =
marker 40.  A Hooded Warbler was singing conspicuously near marker 15.  =
Between markers 1 and 2, I found Cerulean, Mourning, and Chestnut-sided =
Warblers.  This is the first time I have seen Chestnut-sided here in the =
summer.
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C33FBE.52A97800

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This morning I birded Murphy-Hanrehan =
Park in Scott=20
County, mostly to search for the Summer Tanager I heard back in =
June.&nbsp; I=20
went back to the same spot around 7:00 this morning.&nbsp; To get to =
this spot,=20
park along the road just west of marker 14 (this is where you go for the =
Hooded=20
Warblers).&nbsp; Follow the path in and&nbsp;take the path&nbsp;to the =
right as=20
you reach the clearing.&nbsp; This takes you back to marker 15.&nbsp; =
Take the=20
trail to your right at 15, which heads east toward marker 16.&nbsp; =
About 150=20
yards or so east on this path from marker 15, there is a low,=20
semi-open&nbsp;spot with wetlands and tall trees on both sides of the=20
path.&nbsp; This area is just after coming down a hill.&nbsp; It was =
here where=20
I heard a male Summer Tanager back in June.&nbsp; This morning, I waited =
a=20
minute or two, and then saw a female tanager fly into a tree on the =
north side=20
of the path.&nbsp; I had a quick look at this bird, and could only tell =
it was a=20
female tanager, but the wings were not very dark.&nbsp; Just as I put my =

binoculars on this bird, the male Summer Tanager flew into the same tree =
and=20
began calling "pik tuk tuk".&nbsp; The male sat there for a minute =
calling=20
within plain sight of me, and then followed the female bird to a tree =
just north=20
of this spot.&nbsp; I could not find them after this, but this behavior =
was, at=20
least to me, highly suggestive of nesting.&nbsp; I am not aware of any =
breeding=20
records for this species in MN, nor do I know if Summer and Scarlet =
Tanagers=20
will hybridize.&nbsp; Just before you come down the hill to this spot, =
there are=20
a few Scarlet Tanagers singing, so it is possible that the female bird =
was a=20
scarlet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Elsewhere in the park, I found a =
Henslow's Sparrow=20
still singing near marker 40.&nbsp; A Hooded Warbler was singing =
conspicuously=20
near marker 15.&nbsp; Between markers 1 and 2,&nbsp;I =
found&nbsp;Cerulean,=20
Mourning, and Chestnut-sided Warblers.&nbsp; This is the first time I =
have seen=20
Chestnut-sided here in the summer.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver=20
County</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C33FBE.52A97800--