[mou] Schaefer Prairie, McLeod Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:59:18

The mission of the Nature Conservancy is to preserve the plants, animals, and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.  These tracts are some of my favorite places to enjoy while out birding, and the 160 acre Natural Area, Schaefer Prairie in McLeod County is just one of these havens to be enjoyed.

 Leslie Marcus and I chose this path Saturday that led us to the perfect diversion of rolling grasslands, and marsh out in an area off the beaten path quiet enough that you could hear the sound of a breeze ruffling a cornstalk.  The perfect place to meander, listen, and watch for the birds to unfold themselves in the midst of such picturesque habitat.

The air waves were filled with the songs of secretive birds hiding in the grass that would pop up momentarily then drop back to cover quickly.  We enjoyed the Sedge and Marsh Wrens, Swamp and Clay-colored Sparrows, Common Yellowthroat, Virginia Rail, Bobolink, Dickcissel, Eastern Kingbird, Catbird, and a Black-billed Cuckoo.

Schaefer Prairie is in McLeod Co and can be reached from US Hwy 212, 4.3 miles West of Mn 22 jct near Glencoe, then turning South (left) on Nature Ave, and follow the road .6mi.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com