[mou] NW Minnesota - 7/21/03

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:07:09 EDT

--part1_175.1ddabe12.2c4f55dd_boundary

7/21/03

Spent the day working on some year birds in North Western Minnesota, with
Linda Sparling and Bob Dunlap.  We also spent quit a bit of time searching
unsuccessfully for the Little Blue Heron.  Note how important the time of the
sighting can be in addition to good directions.  We searched without success for the
Little Blue Heron between 8:00 and 9:30am and again at 6:30pm.  We also spent
a lot of time in and around the area.  Missing the Snowy Egret, but birding
that spot at least 6 times!!  Great find Dennis, hope to get back up that way
again on the weekend.  We saw 100s of Egrets and Herons and did locate 8 Cattle
Egrets, see posting for directions.  Here were some of the other interesting
species that we found:

@ Cattle Egret - 8 birds were observed just East of the location where the
little Blue Heron has been seen.  From Grant County Rd 54 & Douglas CR 19, go 1
mile East to Ashby Estates Rd E, Go North on this road to the bend in the
road, approx. 1 mile.  We observed 8 Cattle Egrets in the pasture next to the
little marsh between 8:45 and 9:00am.  There were many other interesting birds
here as well including a family of Orchard Orioles.
@ American Bittern - observed in the cattails next to the road that runs
North and South at Rothsay WMA in Wilkin County
@ Greater Prairie Chicken - Clay County - CR 26, 1/2 mile East of the
Longspur Road.  4 birds were observed.
@ There was a nice mix of shorebirds in Douglas County at these locations.
1. CR 56 & CR 15
2. CR 15 & CR 8
3 CR 56 & CR 7
@ Loggerhead Shrike - Clay County - CR 26 and the Longspur Road - Two birds
were observed
@ Chestnut Collared Longspur - Clay County - numerous Chestnut Collared
Longspurs continue sing on territory on there traditional site at Felton Prairie.
@ Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow - Wilkin County - A single bird was heard on
the North side of the road near the main Prairie Chicken Lek at Rothsay WMA.
The bird was singing at about 12:30pm.
@ Le Conte's Sparrow - Wilkin County - Several birds were heard in several
locations at Rothsay WMA.
@ Orchard Oriole - this species was observed in 4 counties at multiple sights
in several of the counties.

--part1_175.1ddabe12.2c4f55dd_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">7/21/03<BR>
<BR>
Spent the day working on some year birds in North Western Minnesota, with Li=
nda Sparling and Bob Dunlap.&nbsp; We also spent quit a bit of time searchin=
g unsuccessfully for the Little Blue Heron.&nbsp; Note how important the tim=
e of the sighting can be in addition to good directions.&nbsp; We searched w=
ithout success for the Little Blue Heron between 8:00 and 9:30am and again a=
t 6:30pm.&nbsp; We also spent a lot of time in and around the area.&nbsp; Mi=
ssing the Snowy Egret, but birding that spot at least 6 times!!&nbsp; Great=20=
find Dennis, hope to get back up that way again on the weekend.&nbsp; We saw=
 100s of Egrets and Herons and did locate 8 Cattle Egrets, see posting for d=
irections.&nbsp; Here were some of the other interesting species that we fou=
nd:<BR>
<BR>
@ Cattle Egret - 8 birds were observed just East of the location where the l=
ittle Blue Heron has been seen.&nbsp; From Grant County Rd 54 &amp; Douglas=20=
CR 19, go 1 mile East to Ashby Estates Rd E, Go North on this road to the be=
nd in the road, approx. 1 mile.&nbsp; We observed 8 Cattle Egrets in the pas=
ture next to the little marsh between 8:45 and 9:00am.&nbsp; There were many=
 other interesting birds here as well including a family of Orchard Orioles.=
<BR>
@ American Bittern - observed in the cattails next to the road that runs Nor=
th and South at Rothsay WMA in Wilkin County<BR>
@ Greater Prairie Chicken - Clay County - CR 26, 1/2 mile East of the Longsp=
ur Road.&nbsp; 4 birds were observed.<BR>
@ There was a nice mix of shorebirds in Douglas County at these locations.<B=

1. CR 56 &amp; CR 15<BR>
2. CR 15 &amp; CR 8<BR>
3 CR 56 &amp; CR 7<BR>
@ Loggerhead Shrike - Clay County - CR 26 and the Longspur Road - Two birds=20=
were observed&nbsp; <BR>
@ Chestnut Collared Longspur - Clay County - numerous Chestnut Collared Long=
spurs continue sing on territory on there traditional site at Felton Prairie=
.<BR>
@ Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow - Wilkin County - A single bird was heard on=
 the North side of the road near the main Prairie Chicken Lek at Rothsay WMA=
.&nbsp; The bird was singing at about 12:30pm.<BR>
@ Le Conte's Sparrow - Wilkin County - Several birds were heard in several l=
ocations at Rothsay WMA.<BR>
@ Orchard Oriole - this species was observed in 4 counties at multiple sight=
s in several of the counties.<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_175.1ddabe12.2c4f55dd_boundary--