[mou] Feathers

sharonks@mn.rr.com sharonks@mn.rr.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:09:39 -0400

Chris Fagyal wrote

If you think picking up a blue jay or cardinal feather or what not here is=

bad, I recommend you visit Papua New Guinea where the natives shoot Birds
of Paradise (Many of which are becoming vulnerable or endangered species
now) regularily to adorn their customary headdresses=2E  Or how about on
Bali, where the last census showed 14 pairs of the Bali Starling alive in
the wild (An absolutely gorgeous white bird with a fabulous white crest an=
brilliant blue face/bill), hunted off for basically the same reasons
(customary headdresses)=2E  If we want to worry about feathers of birds, l=
ets
worry about the ones that really need the protection=2E

I use feathers as a tool for "conservation through birding" and kids=2E  W=
hen
a feather is found we discuss who can use it, why it's important, the law
and why it's written the way it is=2E  If you teach kids how important
feathers are from a common bird, you can help reinforce how much more
important it is to work for the rare and endangered species that Chris
mentions=2E I also use it to teach that just because we see something
beautiful outside doen't mean we have to take it=2E  That's just my method=
=2E=20

Birders have a tough enough time agreeing on field guides and optics so I
doubt that this issue will be solved and agreed upon here and now=2E  Is i=
t a
problem with everyone taking a feather here and there?  Probably not=2E =20=

Sharon Stiteler
Uptown, Minneapolis
the official bird lady of www=2Eneilgaiman=2Ecom=20

See the mouse incident at www=2Ewildbirdstore=2Enet/kare11=2Ehtml=20