[mou] Praire Warbler at Murphy Hanrehan

Bill and Ruth Stauffer stauf007@tc.umn.edu
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:53:13 -0500

    Today between about 9:30AM and 1PM, I observed a singing male Praire
Warbler in Murphy-Hanrehan Park. The bird is located just west of Hanrehan
Blvd., just south of where it crossed Credit River[ie.from the north, pass
the boat landing on Murphy Lake, cross the open fields, and enter the woods
just after Webster Circle. Procede down the hill over the Credit River, and
listen just after that for the bird on the left hand side. -- from the
south, begin to listen on the right after you pass 165th St.].
    The bird can be heard from the road, sometimes quite loud. It is in a
relatively open area, just behind the trees that border the road. While I
was there is sang almost continuously, and circulated about in a relatively
small area. This looks like suitable habitat for breeding, so please do not
badger the bird too much. Hopefully it will stay in this area.
    Just previous to this, I met Karol Gressor and Father Tom at the head of
Blaylock Circle, where we observed at least two singing Cerulean Warblers.
After my initial observation of the Praire Warbler, I returned and left a
note on their car. They later joined me, and observed the Praire. They
informed me they had just seen a singing Kentucy Warbler just west of trail
junction 14.

Bill Stauffer   Edina MN   phone (952) 926-5851