[mou] Winged Migration

sharonks@mn.rr.com sharonks@mn.rr.com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:46:12 -0400

Show your support for bird movies!  There's a group of us going from The
Raptor Center, hope to see some of you there=2E

Sharon Stiteler

Winged Migration=20

Starts Friday, June 6 at the Uptown Theatre=20

Uptown theatre=20

2906 Hennepin Avenue=20
Minneapolis, MN 55408=20
(612) 825-6006=20

Winged Migration =2E by filmmaker Jacques Perrin=20
Our dream was not to fly like birds but with them, right in among them,
fathoming the mystery of their migration by sharing their journey across
oceans, mountains and deserts=2E A superhuman dream, yet one as old as
humanity itself=2E To make it come true, we had to roam the globe for four=

years, mobilizing pools of energy and ingenuity,=20
coordinating the work of some 500 individuals, creating synergies between
film technicians and ornithologists, marrying movie cameras with aerial
contraptions: ultralights, hot air balloons, powered paragliders,
remote-controlled robots, and so on=2E We dispatched crews on over 300
assignments to every continent on earth=2E We filmed in 42 different
countries, shot 250 miles of film, went through 230 hours of dailies=2E=2E=
=2E and
some magically uplifting moments=2E=20

Filming birds in a storm-tossed sea isn't easy=2E I needed a steady shooti=
ng
platform for a 35mm camera, and with a little string-pulling, I got it=2E
Imagine my film crew's astonishment, one chilly February morning, to find
themselves staring up at the massive gray hull of a French warship=2E We w=
ere
on Pier 5 in Brest, Brittany's largest port and one of France's foremost
naval bases=2E=20

We, our birds, and our filming equipment had a temporary home in this stee=
behemoth, among the pristine uniforms and strict discipline of life on
board=2E Making my relations with the French navy easier was the fact that=
had played the "Drummer Crab," the mythical navy lieutenant in the film of=

the same name directed by Pierre Schoendoerffer, which became a cult movie=

for a whole generation of young navy officers=2E For them, a living legend=

was on board=2E Never mind that the deck was littered with straw and the
helicopter hangar had turned into an aviary=2E=2E=2E Cast off! Set a cours=
e for
the wild gray Atlantic!=20

As storm-tossed seas go, I got what I wanted and plenty of it! One time,
when the North Atlantic was in full fury and the birds had been taken into=

shelter, I decided to get some shots of the raging ocean=2E We were on dec=
k,
and my entire crew was busy tinkering with the elaborate camera stabilizin=
system that the foul weather had put out of action=2E I shouldered my trus=
ty
old camera, a mobile Cameflex from the 1960s which Pierre Schoendoerffer
had used in Vietnam to shoot The 317th Platoon, in which I also starred=2E=
stupendous wave broke over the ship and deluged me=2E But sure enough, my
faithful Cameflex stood the test and the wave was safely in the can=2E=20

**************************************************************************=
**
**************************=20
Renowned producer Jacques Perrin (Himalaya, Microcosmos) leads a crew of
over 450 people-including seventeen pilots and fourteen cinematographers-o=
a journey following a variety of bird migrations through forty countries
and each of the seven continents=2E From the Eiffel Tower to Monument Vall=
ey,
from the remote reaches of the Arctic and the Amazon, all manners of
man-made machines were employed to capture these amazing creatures in
flight=2E A film of staggering beauty, revealing the ineffable wonders of =
the
natural world of birds=2E Academy Award Nominee for Best Documentary Featu=
re=2E
In English=2E Official Web Site (
http://www=2Esonyclassics=2Ecom/wingedmigration/index_flash=2Ehtml )=20

Landmark Theatres Exclusive!=20
Filmmaker Jacques Perrin on the challenge of entering the world of birds=20=

Director: Jacques Perrin=20
Co-directors: Jacques Cluzaud, Michel Debats=20
Cast: Jacques Perrin (narrator)=20
MPAA Rating: G for General Audiences=20
Run Time: 1hr 29mins=20
Release Year: 2001=20
Country of Origin: France/Germany/Italy/Spain/Switzerland=20
Language: English/French (with English subtitles)=20
Theatrical Release: April 18, 2003=20
Original title: "Le Peuple Migrateur," which translates as "The Migrating
Population";=20
Nominated: Best Documentary, 75th Annual Academy Awards;=20
Winner: Best Editing, 2002 Cesar Awards=20

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E