[mou] Loon with chick at Carlos Avery

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:58:12 -0500

Carlos Avery is probably on roughly the same latitude as Sherburne NWR,
but I saw two loons there last weekend.  They weren't together, but were
in the same general area of the refuge.  No chicks were spotted however.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P.
Fridley, MN
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "Paul A. Lender" <lender@umn.edu> 06/05/2003 08:54:42 AM >>>
I was at Carlos Avery yesterday late morning.  Nothing especially
noteworthy, but I did see a pair Common Loons, one bearing a black
chick on
her[?] back, in Pool 6.

How common are nesting loons this far south?  Does anyone know their
current southern limit?

"Birds in Minnesota" mentions that they nest as far south as Scott
County,
but that was in the mid 80s.

-- Paul Lender
Paul A. Lender
University of Minnesota Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
2512 South 7th Street, Suite 200
Minneapolis  MN  55454
Voice: (612) 273-8053
FAX: (612) 273-7959