[mou] Children's Bins Summary

metterso@d.umn.edu metterso@d.umn.edu
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:21:49 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information about binoculars for young children.  Below is my original rfi and the eight replies I
received.

Matt

Does anyone have suggestions for binoculars for children?  I have 5 year old who is very enthusiastic about seeing birds.  However, she can't find a
bird in our 8x and 10x bins.  We have tried Wal-Mart binoculars, but they are really not useful.  Does anyone know of 4x or 6x bins with a wide field of
vision and decent optics for her to get started with?  If you want to reply directly to me I'll summarize the advice and repost.
Thanks! Matt Etterson, Duluth

Matt - I can only relate my experience with a child and binoculars, after several years of not complaining and on a trip to look at an eagle nest, my
daughter Leslie exclaimed - "OH! That's how they work!", I never was able to determine what she had been doing wrong - not much help to you -
she'd been using several different binoculars, three as I recall, so I don't think that was the problem, and three different focusers - sure was fun (for
all of us) when she finally figured it out!!  Good luck, Molly Evans

Matt, I would suggest you start her with 7x35.  You can buy an inexpensive pair of Bushnells at Target that will be excellant quality.  And they should
be light enough that she should be able to handle them.  You want to avoid getting her a pair of light weight 7x25.  The field is too narrow and she
will not see enough.  In any case make sure that the binocs are narrow enough for her.  Her main problem may be that the lens are set too far apart
for her eyes and she can not see through both sides at the same time.

I think you will find others will agree with this. Steve Weston sweston2@attbi.com

Hi Matt, Check with Eagle Optics.  I was very impressed with there 6 power 3 foot close focus binoculars.  May be more expensive than your
interesting in spending though.  $200?

Also check the National Butterfly Associations web page.  They list a few low power close focus binoculars that should have a good field of view.

Hope this helps.  Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

Hi, Those 8 or 10 power binoculars are pretty tricky to aim, especially if they are compact models. The MOU Youth Mentor Kits have Nikon Action
7x35 porro prism binoculars. They are inexpensive $120 or so, yet useful, they are real binoculars, not toys. We got them from National Camera
Exchange, 1-877-600-4496 www.nationalcamera.com  I know many people like Eagle Optics in Wis. 800-289-1132 www.eagleoptics.com.

A big key is making sure the binoculars will close up enough to span the distance between her eyes. One hinge is what you want. Adults have
trouble with inexpensive binos that have two hinges, they are impossible for young kids. Inexpensive compacts get out of collimation real fast. The
hinges are just too weak. The tilting lever focus mechanism is best avoided too, it is hard to get the focus correct and they wear out quickly.

Anne suggests having your child practice aiming with toilet paper tubes or some such thing taped together.

 In any event, start with fixed objects around the yard. Have her keep her face square to the target and just lift the binoculars up and place them into
her line of sight without taking her eyes off the target. If she is really lost and you have a laser pointer you can tape it onto the binocular. After you get
it adjusted you can see where she is aiming.

 It will help if you can estimate at what distance the birds will be seen. Then she can pick an object to pre-focus the binoculars. This really helps, I try
to do this myself on my walks. If the focus is way off she won't see the bird even when pointed at it.

 I do a lot of bird walks with kids. They often try to scan the countryside in the hope of finding a bird, pretty boring, a real killer for a future birder!
Maybe she is a little young for fast moving birds. I find kids do well starting with ducks and other big slow moving birds. What really works well is to
have a spotting scope with a zoom eyepiece. You can get the bird in the scope and they can take over and follow the bird. They really like "spying on
the birds" and seeing exactly what they are doing. My niece spent 20 minutes watching goslings eat grass! Really, I couldn't get the scope away
from her.
George Skinner and Anne Hanley,  Minnetonka, MN

I would be very surprised if you can find any 4X or 6X that would be usefull.  I have given my three grandchildren Bushnell 8 X 21 binocs. Try Target,
Gander Mountain or check out National Camera Golden Valley, MN.  good luck and good birding.
Oscar L. Johnson, Brooklyn Park, MN

Matt,
I recently purchased 9 pairs of Brunton Lite-Tech 8X22 compacts. I'm planning on starting Sunday morning bird walks in the Red Wing area for Bed
and Breakfast guests. When I purchased my full size Brunton binos, I asked for a recommendation on durable, easy to use, affordable optics for
kids and this is the model they suggested. They retail for $68.99, here are the specs: Model  No. 5057-Fully coated, Bak-4 roof prism. Weight 7.8oz,
2.75mm exit pupil, 424 ft field of view @ 1000yds.  Kelly Larson Feathered Friend Wild Bird Store, Red Wing, MN

My kids like the Bushnell 8x25 compacts. They fit nicely in their hands and the eye relief isn't so daunting on them. I also use them at home for my
watching the feeder glasses. They cost about $50. The order # on them is 13-7208. They are about 3 years old so they may have updated them.
Holly Peirson, Forest Lake area, Anoka Co.

Greetings Matt; My wife uses a pair of small binoculars. They come in Nikon and other models. I am not sure what power, but I think 5 or 6.
Probably wrong on that. The binoculars are in her car at school so I can't check on them.

My wife really likes this small size and it would fit into the hand of a child quite well.
Rev. Forest Strnad, Faribault, Mn