[mou] Peregrine Falcon Nesting

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:11:15 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C32C70.2A20AE50

This year both bridge sites in Duluth (one is actually on the Wis. side) =
as well as the hotel platform have hatched eggs.  All the young are =
scheduled to be banded next week.  Should be plenty of peregrines flying =
around in a few weeks.
=20

Mark Martell=20
Director of Bird Conservation=20
Audubon Minnesota=20
2357 Ventura Drive #106=20
St. Paul, MN 55125=20
651-739-9332=20
651-731-1330 (FAX)=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hendrickson [mailto:smithville4@msn.com]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 3:45 PM
To: MOU MOU-Net
Subject: [mou] Peregrine Falcon Nesting

I was parked at Superior Street and Lake Avenue waiting for Monica to =
come out of the Tech Village to meet me.  She was late, so I decided to =
waste the time looking at the nesting platform on the west side of the =
Greysolon Plaza.  I observed both adult Peregrines. One bird was perched =
on platform and the other was perched on the northwest side of the =
building.  The bird that was perched on the platform decided to chase =
away a gull and when the bird came back to the platform I saw a fluffy =
white chick begging for food.  I have no idea if there is only one young =
at the nest site or two but either way there is a peregrine falcon chick =
in downtown Duluth.
=20
I know there are two other nesting sites in Duluth.  One at the Blatnik =
Bridge and other at the Bong Bridge.  I have heard from sources that =
these pairs have difficulty raising young due to high winds.  I heard =
that eggs can blow off and fall into The St. Louis River or the steel is =
so cold due to the cold fronts blowing off Lake Superior that eggs never =
hatch.
=20
So its good to see that this platform is finally being used and =
peregrines are have success here.
=20
Mike Hendrickson
Duluth

------_=_NextPart_001_01C32C70.2A20AE50

<HTML xmlns:v xmlns:o><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Comic Sans MS; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 name=3D"Compose message area" =
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
acc_role=3D"text">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D640271221-06062003>This year both bridge sites in =
Duluth (one=20
is actually on the Wis. side) as well as the hotel platform have hatched =

eggs.&nbsp; All the young are scheduled to be banded next week.&nbsp; =
Should be=20
plenty of peregrines flying around in a few weeks.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Mark Martell</FONT> <BR><FONT =
face=3DArial>Director of Bird=20
Conservation</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DArial>Audubon Minnesota</FONT> =
<BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial>2357 Ventura Drive #106</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DArial>St. =
Paul, MN=20
55125</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DArial>651-739-9332</FONT> <BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial>651-731-1330 (FAX)</FONT> </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Michael =
Hendrickson=20
  [mailto:smithville4@msn.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, June 06, 2003 =
3:45=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> MOU MOU-Net<BR><B>Subject:</B> [mou] Peregrine Falcon =

  Nesting<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>I was parked at Superior Street and Lake Avenue waiting for =
Monica to=20
  come out of the Tech Village to meet me.&nbsp; She was late, so I =
decided to=20
  waste the time looking at the nesting platform on the west side of the =

  Greysolon Plaza.&nbsp; I observed both adult Peregrines. One bird was =
perched=20
  on platform and the other was perched on the northwest side of the=20
  building.&nbsp; The bird that was perched on the platform decided to =
chase=20
  away a gull and when the bird came back to the platform I saw a fluffy =
white=20
  chick begging for food.&nbsp; I have no idea if there is only one =
young at the=20
  nest site or two but either way there is a peregrine falcon chick in =
downtown=20
  Duluth.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I know there are two other nesting sites in Duluth.&nbsp; One at =
the=20
  Blatnik Bridge and other at the Bong Bridge.&nbsp; I have heard from =
sources=20
  that these pairs have difficulty raising young due to high =
winds.&nbsp; I=20
  heard that eggs can blow off and fall into The St. Louis River or the =
steel is=20
  so cold due to the cold fronts blowing off Lake Superior that eggs =
never=20
  hatch.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>So its good to see that this platform is finally being used and=20
  peregrines are have success here.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Mike Hendrickson</DIV>
  <DIV>Duluth</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C32C70.2A20AE50--