[mou] BBS report

tnejbell@attbi.com tnejbell@attbi.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:04:23 +0000

   Elizabeth and I completed the Chandler BBS route in southwest Minnesota on
June 15. We went west of Slayton on Hwy 30, then one mile west of Lake Wilson
to Murray CR-26, then south four miles to our start point, which was a bit over
a mile west of Chandler, not too far from the location of previously reported
Blue Grosbeaks this year. Most of the 25-mile route was cultivated and
pastured, The only habitat breaks were the road ditches, fence lines, farmstead
groves, and green water swales.
   Our "best" bird was a male Blue Grosbeak singing from a cottonwood tree at
our second stop. 43°55.229' & 95°59.033'.
   Some pleasant observations: There were many more Ring-necked Pheasants than
expected and more Western Meadowlarks, Common Yellowthroats were frequent and
heard from some very small patches of suitable habitat, We had Cliff Swallows
at several bridges and Gray Partridge at 2 stops, We saw one Upland Sandpiper
at stop #23 (43°48.256' & 95°59.033). We saw only one raptor, a Swainson's
Hawk, and saw Bobolinks at only one stop, We had Orchard Oriole and Red-headed
Woodpecker at one stop, We saw Dickcissels at four stops.